Sunday, January 1, 2012

Beginnings.

Recently, Girlie had her three-year academic re-evaluation and her Individualized Education Program (IEP) was updated at the same time.  There are only two people on her team who’ve been with her since the beginning (10 years, including preschool!): myself and her occupational therapist (who, incidentally, happens to have become a great friend and knitting buddy).  Sometimes during these meetings the OT and I talk about how much progress Girlie has made, and tell stories about past behaviors and challenges.  These anecdotes can be quite surprising to teachers and staff who may have only known Girlie for a few months, or maybe a year.  I think it’s good for them to have some perspective, and maybe help them see Girlie with a more realistic sense of her accomplishments.  I honestly believe there have been teachers who’ve gained respect for her after hearing some of the old tales.

The result of the meeting was quite satisfactory and Girlie will start the new year with what we think will be a less stressful schedule for her, and include a little more help in organizing her school work.  Now if we can just get Boyo to buy in to some of the methods we know will work… it can be so difficult for him to let go of the ODD behavior (even if it sounds like a good idea, it’s coming from parents and must. be. opposed), and his anxiety works against him here because he can be very fearful of change.

So - beginnings, fresh starts, new things, organization: must be talking about the New Year!  I don’t make resolutions because I recognize that, for me, it is likely I will get carried away with a new item/activity/method and then let it slide as soon as the novelty wears off.  True story.  However, I did start walking a couple years ago, and because I have chronic injuries and an autoimmune inflammatory disorder, walking is a great and very ‘do-able’ exercise for me. Family and friends know that knitting is about the only way I can tolerate the treadmill tedium, and due to an injury to both ankles a couple years ago I’m better off walking on the treadmill than on the uneven rural roads where we live.  So, I knit easy things and listen to an audio book while I walk.  Things like dishcloths, washcloths, handwarmers, hats, and the like are perfect projects and I think there are still a few family members who can use an item or two on that list!

Simple handwarmers, perfect for knitting while
on the treadmill, and wearing when I walk outside!

I wish for you that 2012 will be a year of finding wellness in whatever aspect of your life it's needed most!

No comments:

Post a Comment