Saturday, January 7, 2012

Square one, again.



Girlie went to social skills class today for the first time in a few months.  It’s been a real help, but the classes are expensive and social skills are not covered by any kind of benefit – strictly cash out of pocket.  The classes are nowhere near as expensive as some types of therapies and treatments, so I’m not complaining very loudly; I know of folks who’ve taken second mortgages to pay for autism-related therapies!  Anyway, Girlie is happy to be back because, not only does she enjoy the teacher and classes, she has a friend who goes there and we were able to arrange for the two girls to be in the same class. 

Boyo has begun rehearsals for two recital pieces; both ballet classes he is in will perform in February.  That means rehearsal time in addition to the regular classes. Seems like we were doing something like this only last month…

Today I began the official process of going back to work outside the home.  I’m fairly confident about this effort because I am known to the agency as I work a few hours a month in an associated organization (but that work is mostly done from home).  At an interview today we discussed working a few hours a week on a volunteer basis and already are hoping to expand the hours as soon as I feel ready.  Who knows, maybe by the time I feel comfortable with being away from home for more hours of the day, a paid position will open.  If nothing else, I’ll be bringing my résumé completely up to date in preparation for future employment prospects. 

So, in many respects, we are back to square one.  We’re all in for an adjustment period but I feel very strongly that I’m making the right choice for myself in consideration of my family. 

In November I went on a special trip with my friend Rhondi and bought some yarn I couldn’t resist.  With no practical thoughts whatsoever, I knitted something that no one I know could use.  First of all, I have suspected for a long time that I am sensitive to mohair if it’s around my face.  Secondly, I don’t wear cowls and I don’t know anyone who does except in the very rare case of severe winter weather.  Did I let that stop me?  No, in fact I allowed myself to be completely pulled in by the yarn, and knitted it anyway.  Photos don’t do it justice, it really was beautiful!
See the glints of sparkle? It's hand-dyed Sparkling Kid Mohair
from Fancy Image Yarn knitted with Cascade 220 Heathers.
I admired the finished cowl for a couple days before ‘frogging’ (unraveling) it and soaking the kinks out of the hank.  Back to square one!  

Notice 'Diary of a Wimpy Kid' - that was truly a coincidence.
Clearly I am not wimpy when it comes to unraveling hours
of knitting and hundreds of yards of yarn!  :-)















After winding the yarn into a hank, I put it
to soak for a while to relax the kinks out.














Granddaughter modeling her hat to humor Grandma




After a few days of drying, the yarn was knitted up into something it should have been in the first place: a sparkly, pretty, warm hat in the perfect color for a dark-haired, dark-eyed, (sleepy!) girl. (It looks pretty cute on her mommy, too!)  ♥

1 comment: