Sunday, January 29, 2012

Short Cuts

Girlie loves cutting.  She saves all the ribbons from wrappings and cuts them into tiny bits.  She collects yarn ends from my knitting and cuts them into tiny bits.  I’m not sure how we escaped the predictable haircuts when she was small, but thankfully we did.

Probably her favorite thing to cut is little sticks, so she loves clipping twigs and branches into tiny bits.  Since the snow and ice brought down so many branches, she has been anxiously awaiting the weekend when Dearest would be home so she could help him clear away the debris.  For the last few days, she’s been going out with my pruning clippers and nipping the smaller twigs into six inch pieces – to the tune of three buckets full!

The idea behind this is that she wants Dearest to have an unending supply of kindling so there are no excuses not to have a spur-of-the-moment bonfire.  Girlie has a stronger than average attraction, I think, because she would sit poking at a fire for much longer than any adult wants to supervise said activity.

Today Girlie and Dearest pulled all the big fallen branches away from the trees and cut them up into manageable pieces.  Of course the kids were hoping for a giant bonfire, but I vetoed that in favor of a small fire in our patio pit after they haul a truckload of debris to the drop-off yard down the road.  Weather permitting, there will be a marshmallow roast in the near future.  I'm sure I can put down my knitting long enough to have one S'more  :-)

More S'mores than you can imagine available here!

1 comment:

  1. Ha... I saw girlie snipping yesterday afternoon. She looked like she was having a great time. And love the knitting smore :-)

    ReplyDelete