Thursday, December 1, 2011

C is for...

Confidentiality.

My professional training is in medical transcription and medical records.  Dearest and I began providing foster care in 1999.  For a while, I was a substitute paraeducator in our school district.  I understand confidentiality on every level.

I also realize that, if I’m to do any good by writing publicly, I have to be prepared to let you see the inner workings, the confidential stories, the hard truths.  Boyo just looked over my shoulder in passing and said, “Confidentiality.  Only for specific people.”  Yes, and the ‘specific people’ I have in mind are those who might find a moment of recognition in what I write.

Families handle the issue of adoption in whatever way works best for them.  In our family, it’s never been a secret.  Both children know they were adopted.  We started when they were very young, telling them some women can be mothers but not have babies, and some women can have babies but not be mothers.  Both kids know they have challenges that are not their fault.  (In the case of our son who was prenatally exposed to methamphetamine, we’ve told them that his biological mother’s mistake was not maliciously intended to harm the baby she was carrying.)  

Boyo isn’t quite as forthcoming in talking about his challenges, but Girlie has begun to advocate for herself and talk about having Asperger’s Syndrome.  She recognizes that she is giving personal information, but also that she has learned a lot and may be able to help others.  She has taken social skills classes for a few years, and has begun to accept advice from a couple helpful girls at her middle school about grooming and wardrobe.  Dressing the way they suggest isn’t necessarily her first choice, but she recognizes their advice may help her fit in better.  She has begun to understand what some of her challenges are and talk to teachers on her own about ways to meet them.  Upon learning a cousin was recently diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrome and being asked if she has any advice, she said, “Please tell him I have it, and it’s OK even though the word sounds inappropriate because it starts with ‘Ass.’”

How can I possibly tie confidentiality in with knitting?  I can’t tell you; it’s a secret.  No, in fact, one of the best things about knitting and most fibers arts is that there are very few secrets because folks want to share what they know.  On Ravelry there are thousands of free knitting patterns, ranging from very simple to complicated, intricate designs.  I understand why they aren’t all free - it takes a lot of time and effort to produce professionally written patterns, and someone has to pay to get those beautiful books published, after all – but I have an appreciation for the designers, both amateur and professional, who are willing to share their work for free.  Because I’ve gotten so much help from so many people, I hoped to pay it back a little by putting my simple ideas out there, too.  Click on the photos for a .pdf of the patterns.  J
With a Twist handwarmers
Duchess legwarmers

Deckle scarf

1 comment:

  1. 1. I love Girlie... it starts with "ass" ha!
    2. I love that you share your patterns for free, and I can't wait to finish my Deckle... someday. :)

    ReplyDelete