Wednesday, December 28, 2011

A True Thing...

I am an introvert.  There, I said it – and I’m not embarrassed or ashamed to admit it.  Being an introvert does not mean I’m inadequate or weak.  I’ve only really known this fact for the last several years, and it was quite a relief to see that people understand introversion and extroversion; that folks have written about it, and there are lots of people out there like me.  I felt validated.  Does that mean I never want to go out and be social?  No, in fact I like to go to family gatherings or out shopping – the same things other people like to do – but I’ve learned to plan time for recharging my emotional batteries so as not to become exhausted.

Aside from the social challenges that can go with Asperger’s, I think Girlie is an introvert, too.  She is happy to stay in the car with a book rather than go into the store, most days – even though she does like shopping.  If we’ve been out and about, she wants to spend some time drawing, coloring, or reading when we get home, and I think that’s her ‘recharge’ time.

In spite of his anxiety issues, Boyo is an extrovert.  He thrives especially on what I think of as almost overwhelming chaos that happens during The Nutcracker season.  He actually seems calmer and more sure of himself, his attitude is more positive, and he tends to be kinder and more thoughtful of others when he’s been surrounded by dozens of other hard-working dancers.

It occurred to me recently that raising kids with challenges might be a bit easier for an extrovert; someone less likely to get worn out with what can seem like endless explanations and appointments.  Honestly, knitting is a big help, here!  My knitting goes everywhere with me, and it’s like portable meditation; a way to re-center myself in the midst of whatever is going on around me.  It has become a bit of a joke in my family, so there are photos of me knitting in some rather odd circumstances – like during a helicopter tour over Cannon Beach, Oregon, and in the middle of a honeybee swarm.  Maybe this was when I realized that knitting is my zzzzzzzzzzen.      :-)
You can see the sky is filled with bees, and the spots you see on me are
actually bee shadows. I was never in any danger, because honeybees
are not aggressive when they are swarming to find a new hive. It was a
bit disconcerting to feel them occasionally bouncing off  me, though!  

2 comments:

  1. This post makes me miss my old house. Our move was what was best for my kids, but I LOVED that house:)

    ReplyDelete