Friday, December 30, 2011

Handing over the reins...

It can't be helped, and I believe it's common in most families: one parent tends to be 'in charge'.  In our family, that's my role, and Dearest is a great supporter.  Recently, we realized that things had gotten a bit out of proportion, so that even if he was sitting right next to the kids, they'd come to me in a different room to ask a question.  That's not fair to Dearest.  It's also not practical, because not only am I taking on a lot more of the mental workload, it would leave the family in a difficult place if I had an unplanned absence.

We realized that Dearest needs to know more about the daily operations - how things work, and where to find the answers.  It isn't that I was keeping him out of the loop; just that neither of us particularly felt up to the job of getting him into the loop.  As much as possible, considering he works full time, he's taking the kids to some of their classes or lessons, going to any parent meetings that work with his schedule, and just generally bringing himself up to speed.

Dearest is a wonderful parent, and today is one of those days when he sends me off to have a good time while he handles everything at home.  I have to admit, since I'm so used to sitting in the driver's seat, it can be hard to hand over the reins, but it's a welcome break for everyone.  Dearest will handle a doctor appointment for both kids, and I'm not going to worry about what anyone wears or what their hair looks like in public.  I'm not going to give any advice about whether they should have fast food, and the kids can advocate for themselves.  I'm off for the day with my oldest daughter and grandkids to see out-of-town friends and family - a visit long overdue!

Sock monkey modeling the Twinkle Vintage Cardigan knitted
for a grandbaby with KnitPicks 'Stroll' and 'Imagination' sock yarn.

No comments:

Post a Comment