Thursday, December 22, 2011

X is for...

eXcitement.

All right, I know, but I really didn’t feel I could get much out of xenolith (although Girlie has found some examples of those).  On second thought, come to think about it, I’m sure we all feel sometimes as though we are made up of different material than those around us…

Here we are at the holiday break from school.  Is this supposed to be fun?  No; in fact school breaks have been a struggle for us forever, because the kids do so much better with strict routine, which takes a lot of energy for me to maintain.  Thus, we have a stressful situation that frequently degrades into a big mess. 

It didn’t take very long for me to realize it isn’t a good idea to build up excitement in our house.  We don’t play the anticipation games: “I just can’t wait until (insert holiday name here)!” or, “Yay, only 5 more sleeps ‘til our trip to the beach!” If we’re planning a trip, we inform the kids very matter-of-factly, and then remind them the day before.  Boyo gets especially anxious because he can’t remember how near or far places are and sometimes thinks we’re planning a much bigger trip than it will actually be.  We absolutely do not use this time for extra shopping or other activities that are outside our normal routine – going into a store or restaurant with all the decorations and more people – that’s just asking for trouble!

I have to admit, sometimes I allow too much screen time because it gives me time without a kiddo wandering back and forth buzzing with too much energy and asking the same question repeatedly, or terrorizing his sister.  I always pay for it later, because that much excitement built up in Boyo’s head comes busting out eventually, and needs to be guided safely.  Sometimes we have a job lined up for him in the way of vacuuming or laundry; other times he’ll ask for things to do, so I know he has gained some maturity. 

So, we stick to bedtime as usual and make sure everyone eats when they should, try to remember there has to be plenty of physical activity happening and everything is moving as it should be, and watch for signs of stress and agitation.  In the mean while, I’ll just keep things as UNexciting as possible around here, and look forward to January 3rd.  :-)

I’m always looking forward to my next planned knitting project with excitement.  Knowing I will be finishing something and preparing to start something new gives me a sense of accomplishment and anticipation that’s just for me; a little reward for a job (hopefully!) well done.

Quick-to-knit 'Drip' coaster pattern can be found here :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment