Thursday, December 29, 2011

Moms are braver than Dads...

OK, I don’t know if that’s really true, but think about it: when parents start leaving the kids home alone, it’s usually the mom who knows what the kids might really get into.  Dads just go along with it; “They’ll be fine, quit worrying.”  Sure, that’s easy for you to say.

None of what I just said takes single- or same-sex parenting into account, and I apologize for that, but I can only write what I know.  And this Mom is definitely braver than Dad in many respects.  I’m the one who found the burned matches in the garbage.  It was me who noticed the kid cutting paper on the floor with nothing between the scissors and the carpet.  If I hadn’t made one last check, the gate to the dog yard would have been ajar (which wouldn’t be that big a deal if not for the fact that Girlie is raising a puppy for Guide Dogs of America). 

Does this mean we’ll never leave the kids home alone?  No, in fact, it means the kids have to realize we understand there is a risk but we believe in their ability to make good choices.  Truly, I think knowing all of these things and realizing the dreadful potential – but still being willing to start leaving the kids home alone – takes bravery.  And faith.  And a good knitting project to work on in the car to take my mind off what better not be happening at home.
Washcloth in Jarbo Soft Cotton using a 'broken rib' stitch pattern.
I like knitted cotton cloths for scrubbing counter- and stove-tops, and knitted washcloths in finer cotton.  I just knit a square of whatever stitch pattern suits me at the time and doesn’t require a lot of attention, so that makes them perfect projects while traveling.  Now that I think about it, the fact that Dearest lets me sit next to him in the car with pointy sticks makes him pretty brave, too.  :-)

2 comments:

  1. well, i can tell you that your biggest daughter still cuts paper on the floor with nothing between the scissors and the carpet... on the bed, too for that matter. so you might want to make it a little more "known" if you think that is a poor choice. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not so unexpected at 5, I think, and by the time a kid is eleven you'd think the scissors would at least be lifted away from the carpet. Maybe not, though...

    ReplyDelete